Monday, August 27

USS Biloxi Adventure


Before the summer rains could stop us, Nathan and I went out in search of the superstructure, or mast-like-thingy, from the USS Biloxi.  My Grandpa Harline severed in the Navy on that ship and I really wanted to see it.  We tried to go the last time I was out there, but as you may remember, I got sick from sitting next to some sneezer on the plane and wasn't able to make the long walk.


The weather was really hot, and really muggy in Biloxi, Mississippi.


There were still tons of marti gras beads in the streets, hanging in trees, and even around the necks of hobos.


Most of Biloxi has recovered from Katrina, but there is definitely evidence that she was there.


We had to take a break when we found these benches... we both looked like we had just gone for a swim in our clothes, we were so sweaty.  Was that too much information?  Sorry, but it really was really hot and humid.


Right when we thought that we might have taken a wrong turn, I saw it!




It had a plaque out front that talked about the battles it was in, where it was built, who the commanding officers were, and other fun stuff.


My favorite story is about the Japanese suicide plane that crashed into the ship carrying a 1,000 pound bomb that landed on top of the fuel tank.... and didn't blow up.  Lucky ship huh?


They even cleaned up the bomb and put it up on display on the ship.


I would have done the same.  Look at what didn't blow us up! ha-ha!  There's a picture of the bomb on this previous blog post, it's the fourth picture down.


I don't know what happened to the bomb, but I'd like to think it's the gray bomb looking thing above the plaque, that I am standing next to.

I showed Grandpa this picture below and he said that the bomb looking thing could be it.  So, I'm going to pretend that it is.


We had tons of fun..... well at least I had tons of fun.  Nathan didn't have as much of the excitement level as I did to make him forgot about the blaring heat.


You can see the sweat just glistening off my face, but I don't care.  I found my Grandpa's ship.


While I walked around and took a million pictures, Nathan chilaxed on a bench.


Then we went to cool off in the ocean.... but it was kinda gross looking.... so just his feet went in.


I just looked at it....


It was a beautiful hot day.


No comments:

Post a Comment