Monday, May 7

Planing a Trip to Biloxi

As soon as I got home from Texas I was online looking at plane tickets to Mississippi, which is where Nathan in now stationed.  He is in the phase called "Tech School" where he learns about his job that he will be doing for the next few years.  He will be working in Client Systems, which basically means, he will be the "Geek Squad" for the Air Force.

So far, I am a much bigger fan of Tech School then I am of Boot Camp.  I get to talk to him everyday and we've even been able to skype a few times!  We are making plans for me to come out and visit next month to celebrate our birthdays.  And I am so gosh darn excited to see him!

When my grandpa found out that Nathan was going to be in Mississippi, he told me that the ship he served on in the Navy, has the superstructure (mast looking thingy) in a park in Biloxi, Mississippi.


How fun would that be to see part of the ship that my grandpa serve on?  I decided that would have to be a must see when I go out there to visit next month.



I did some internet searching and found a tons of information on his ship, the USS Biloxi.  She was a light cruiser that was nicknamed, "The Busy Bee."



She earned nine battle stars during her service from January 1944 to May 1945 and completed one of the longest continuos tours of combat by any U.S. warship.


She never missed a major operation in the Pacific.



Her superstructure is now in Guice Park and the ship's bell is in the lobby of the Biloxi City Hall.

Photo Credit
So now, not only am I excited to see my wonderful husband, but I can see a part of my family history too!  I don't think I ever would have know about this without Nathan being stationed there.  Very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment