Monday, June 4

A Day at The Beach


I treated myself to a day at the beach.  I went to one of my favorite beaches in Santa Cruz, Natural Bridges State park.


I thoroughly enjoyed feeling the sand between my toes.


And I could spend hours watching the tides ebb and flow.


I went on an adventure to the tide pools over this beautiful rock...


Over this ledge...


Watch out!  Don't fall!


You can kinda tell how long people have been taking this walk to the tide pools over these rocks.  Those indents are from years of people's feet walking this path.


Finally at the tide pools.  I love watching the crabs scuttle around.


Watching the sea anemones...


Well, more like poking sea anemones


Being fascinated by creatures that can bind themselves to surfaces by creating a mucus through their foot.


And then I feel a little guilty thinking that they look very yummy.


This little guy thought that he was well hidden, but I found him.


He tried to make a sneaky escape while I wasn't looking...


But I saw him.

And watched him climb into the neighbor's pool.  He hid in a hole that someone else was in.  The crab that was content in his hidey hole then kicked out someone else from their hole... and that went on for about four more crabs... it was funny.


This is the natural bridge that the park is named after.  There were two bridges when my dad was growing up, but the years have eroded the other one.


This park is also known for being the winter home for the Monarch Butterflies.  Obviously, it's the beginning of summer right now, so there aren't any butterflies there now... but it's still a beautiful place.



The first time I came here, I can remember just being in awe of their beauty.


These trees were alive with the fluttering wings of these amazing critters.  Floating from tree to tree and sunning their wings.


It's truly a magical experience.


I believe that I will still be here come October, when they start taking up residence in Santa Cruz.  And if so, I've practiced my picture taking skills lying supine and I will be able to share with you the magic of being surrounded by Monarch Butterflies.


1 comment: