Thursday, July 12

For The Birds

By now, I'm sure some of you are wondering whatever happened to that internship I was so excited about?  I think I showed that I was a little too skilled at being organized and performing office work because they loved having my skills to help them with the paperwork for their first big fundraising event.  Now that the event is over and all the postmortem has been cleaned up, we get to dive into bird projects!

The first project was using some of the money donated to increase our gene pool for the Crown Pigeons!  We have a new pair of Blue Crown Pigeons!


These birds are endangered in their homeland, New Guinea, due to things like habitat loss and hunting.


We hope to be able to keep the species thriving over here until their home is able to support them again, and then they will be released back into the wild.

These birds are not only beautiful, but they are remind me of puppies because they wag their tails and they have a talent that totally took me by surprise.  Their mating call sounds like nothing else I have ever heard.  It's something like a drum or whooping that they perform while bowing.   I was able to catch the tail end of one of these impressive displays, enjoy!

1 comment: